Listen to the recording of the following text. Practice reading aloud sentence by sentence after the recording.
- Anuruddha was a very good pupil, although he was blind. He did not feel sorry for his blindness, and kept up with his practice.
- One day, he felt a hole in his robe. He tried to mend it, but found it very difficult. He could not even thread the needle. The Buddha came to his room to thread the needle for him.
- “Who is threading the needle for me?” Anuruddha asked.
- “It is the Buddha,” the Buddha replied while he was mending the robe.
- Anuruddha felt really happy and was moved to tears.
- Always help those who need it.
2.WORDS TO LEARN
Although [ɔ:l’ðou](conj.): mặc dù
Be moved to tears: cảm động đến rơi nước mắt
Feel sorry for sth: thấy hối tiếc về điều gì
Keep up with sth: tiếp tục làm điều gì
Mend (v) [mend]: mạng, vá
Needle [‘ni:dl] (n): cây kim khâu
Robe (n): y áo
Thread [θred] (n): chỉ
Thread (v): xỏ chỉ
Answer the following questions with information from the text.
1 What was Anuruddha like?
2 What did he feel for his disability? What did he do?
3 What did he want to do with his robe?
4 What was his problem?
5 Who helped him?
6 Why did Anuruddha cry?
4.Practice asking and answering those questions with a partner, book closed.
CÂU CHUYỆN VỀ ĐỨC PHẬT GIÚP ĐỆ TỬ XỎ KIM
- Mặc dù bị mù, Anuruddha là một tỳ kheo rất chăm chỉ. Ngài không than vãn cho việc mình bị mù, mà vẫn chuyên tâm thực hành giáo pháp.
- Một ngày nọ, vị tỳ kheo sờ thấy y của mình bị thủng. Ngài cố gắng vá y, nhưng thấy rất khó. Ngài thậm chí còn không thể xỏ kim. Đức Phật đã đến phòng của vị tỳ kheo và xỏ kim cho vị ấy.
- “Ai đang giúp tôi xỏ kim đấy ạ?” – Anuruddha hỏi.
- “Là Đức Thế Tôn đây,” – Đức Phật trả lời trong khi vá y.
- Anurudhha cảm thấy vô cùng hoan hỉ, xúc động rơi nước mắt.
- Hãy luôn giúp người cần giúp.
Translate the following sentences into Vietnamese.
1 No one blames you for your disability.
2 Anuruddha was blind but found the enlightened path to go. Many of us are sighted yet see no way out of greed, hatred and dilusion.